Finding a Trusted Professional

Finding the right trusted professional during divorce

If you have never had to seek advice from a legal or finance professional before, then it can be a daunting undertaking. It is crucial that the person you instruct to help is appropriately qualified, has relevant experience and can be trusted to deal with your affairs.

Finding a legal professional

You may wish to use an organisation like Resolution to find a lawyer or solicitor. All their members have knowledge and experience of family law. Find out more here.

Alternatively, you could find your own lawyer or solicitor. To help you find the right person, here are some questions you may wish to ask:

  • How long have they been qualified?
  • What experience have they had dealing with issues similar to yours, do they specialise in family law, for example?
  • Are they members of any specialist panels such as the Resolution accredited specialist scheme?

You may also wish to use The Law Society to find a trusted legal professional in your area that specialises in family law.

Finding a finance professional

Finances may be one of your primary concerns when getting divorced. It is essential to get professional advice on your situation and also to assist you in making a financial plan for after the divorce has been finalised.

Knowing what your financial requirements will be, could provide vital information that forms part of the divorce arrangements with your spouse.

Professional financial advisers are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). You can check for your adviser on the FCA register. You should only deal with companies authorised by the FCA.

In addition to being registered with the FCA, they should also hold an FCA recognised diploma in financial planning, an FCA recognised Transitional Qualification and the Qualification gap-fill. They also need to have a valid Statement of Professional Standing (SPS).

Ensure that any professional financial adviser has been practising for a minimum of one year supervised, or three years unsupervised.

You may also wish to deal with a financial expert who specialises in divorce, so check what areas of finance they cover. You can find more information about seeking professional financial advice here.

MRA is fully regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) See Full Details.